Saturday, July 2, 2011

"Consider The Lilies of The Field"

"And why take you thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say to you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." Matthew 6:28-29





Only one of those is a lily it's true. All of them are beautifully arrayed, however and I think they all fit the spirit of the quote.

"If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?" Mathew 6:30

He has clothed them wonderfully well hasn't he? And the trees too. I love the way trees look when they are all dressed up. And they make a lovely shade for sitting in.

"So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own." Matthew 6:31-34

I really like this. It means that if you are seeking "first" the kingdom, then you really don't have much to worry about. The problem is figuring out exactly what it means to seek "first" the kingdom. I used to think this meant that you had to be a missionary or a Nun or something similar.

But Paul lists a lot of different callings. And he might not have put everything possible in that list. So there could be many things a person is called to do. Doing your best and being willing to do whatever God wants...I think that is the point.

Not worrying though...that is indeed hard. I catch myself worrying and sometimes can't seem to stop no matter how stupid I know it is. I guess that is something that takes practice too. I'm working on it. How about you? Do you worry? How do you stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment