Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Second of the Ten Commandments

The second commandment says "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations, of those who love me and keep my commandments." Exodus 20:4-6

This is one that I tend to forget. I don't know why really. It should be easy to remember that you are not to make idols of anything. And this could be something other than a "graven image". Money could be an idol. Power could be an idol. Fame? Celebrity?  Anything that you value or trust more than God can be and probably is an idol in your heart.

I like that it says he punishes the children to the third and fourth generation of those that hate him...but blesses to the thousandth generation those who love him. That is a huge difference.

And we all know it is true too. Children and grandchildren often suffer for what their parents do. Especially children of alcoholics and drug addicts.

And the United States pretty much shows that he does bless the descendants of those who love him. It was founded by religious people and until recently was very much a christian nation.

I think maybe we are starting to see some of the punishment these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment