Friday, May 13, 2011

The Fifth Commandment

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12

"Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you , so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you." Deuteronomy 5:16

This is the first commandment with a promise. The promise is that "it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you" and that you may live a long life. Both excellent promises. Most people would like to live a long time and have things go well with them. So there is some incentive for this one other than simply pleasing God.

How does one "honor" their parents though? It means to love, reverence, obey, and assist. This doesn't always mean to do everything the parent says because if they tell you to disobey God then you should not obey them. God still comes first.

This one is probably very hard for many people. Those with abusive parents especially. I was blessed with some really good parents myself so I don't really have much trouble with this one. Not that I know of offhand anyway...perhaps I should ask my mother. Her view might be different. Then again...I best be sure I'm ready to hear the truth first...

1 comment:

  1. This command is something we, as Americans, don't do well. There may be reasons, as in abuse, but in general we do not honor them as well as other countries. In other countries the elderly are considered wise and always treated with respect. It is sad that we dont' respect the wisdom and maturity of the elderly. I think the younger generation today is especially guilty of this!

    ReplyDelete